Friday, January 28, 2011

Smoothies

I went on a semi-allergen-fast for a couple weeks - nothing hard-core or overly-committed.  I did, in spite of my lax treatment of said "fast", find out a couple things about myself.
  1. Too much wheat flour makes me feel yucky - crampy, heavy, just-plain-ill.
  2. Smoothies make me feel wonderful - light, healthy, energized.
I've begun trying to limit the amount of flour I eat a day.  I aim for only one meal with wheat flour daily (though, at certain times - special occasions, the end of a pay period. . ., I eat much more and just go to bed feeling rough).  On a good day, however, if the kids are having a wheat-friendly meal, I opt for a smoothie using the following recipe. 

BASIC SMOOTHIE RECIPE

1c. Frozen Fruit (at least half of which is frozen blueberries or blackberries)
1/2c. Juice (preferably cran-grape) or 1/2c. Concentrated, Cooled Green Tea with some Honey
1/2c. Water or Yogurt
A couple TBL of finely chopped walnuts

Plop it all in the blender and blend till. . . smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment