Thursday, March 24, 2011

Nourishing ~ A Goal

"Who satisfies your mouth with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagles."
~ Psalm 103:5
Like my mother, I pour over cook books - I love the sounds of the words in each recipe:  simmer, sift, and stir; batter and butter - softened butter; rise and punch-down; season-to-taste and rolling boil. . .  I've always loved food, and love making comforting food for my family.

Unfortunately, I spend so much time in the planning and shopping and cooking that the places in my home meant to nourish my family most are forgotten and lost to chaos.  While I plan a meal, cookbooks and picture books grown in stacks on the floor beside the book shelves.  I come back from shopping just to cram good food into over-stuffed cabinets and refrigerator.  I cook a time-consuming meal while homeschool supplies and plans fly in a confused mess over tables and floors and sofas.

To truly nourish my family's bodies, souls, and spirits I must get a handle on the places of nourishment.  I must make an environment that lends itself to nourshment.

This week I am working on the places in my home that nourish my family.  The reading area of the living room, the kitchen, and the school area of the family room.  I am getting rid of everything in those areas that doesn't nourish the body, soul, or spirit.  I am cleaning with an eye toward whole-person nourishment.  And I am hoping to add a couple touches to help in the nourishment process - a couple new books, some kitchen ware, and a sturdy school table.

I pray that my home will be a place that nourishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment